Sunday, 15 September 2013


 A  pictures from Damflask Reservoir. It takes around 2 hours to walk around the water and it is beautiful.

The reservoir takes its name from Damflask village which stood where the reservoir embankment is today.   The village was almost entirely washed away when Dale Dike dam burst on 11th March 1864, causing the Great Sheffield Flood. Nothing was rebuilt as plans were in place prior to the flood to construct the reservoir. 

Damflask reservoir was constructed in 1867 as one of a group of reservoirs in the area built to supply both fresh drinking water and a guaranteed supply of water to the population and industries of Sheffield. It has a capacity of 1,123 million gallons and a maximum depth of 88 feet. Today it is also used by rowing and sailing clubs and for fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment